No big explanation here. Meatless Monday means meatless soup. This edition is courtesy of Martha Stewart. I don’t have any particular opinions about Martha. Her magazine was beautifully designed. I’m not sure why she gained fame, but whatever. Good on her, I guess.
WHAT WORKED: The ease. This is fairly easy, with start to finish in less than an hour.
WHAT DIDN’T: This was pretty faultless, though mine was much redder than Martha’s.
WHAT DID THE WIFE SAY: She was pretty cranky due to work, so not much of the conversation was on dinner.
WILL IT MAKE ANOTHER APPEARANCE: Probably.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add carrots, celery, and onion and cook until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and season with salt and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, broth, and parsley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide soup among four bowls and serve with Parmesan.